Thirty. The big 3-0. It’s a scary one. Most people dread hitting this age. Your exciting twenties have come to an end and all of a sudden everything is serious. If you’re on your way to hitting that birthday, here are thirty things you should probably have mastered by then
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself in the process
We’re not masters of love but it’s important not to lose yourself, not for too long anyway.
2. How you feel about having children
Know how you feel so you don’t have to deal with difficult choices later.
3. How to quit a job without burning bridges
Sometimes jobs don’t work out, leave on good terms and stay professional.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away
Understand which situation warrants which reaction, sometimes trying for a friendship or relationship (or even career!) can exhaust you.
5. Breaking up with a partner in a civil way
Not all break-ups have to be devastating. More often than not, things just don’t work out.
6. How to confront a friend without ruining the friendship
You’ll learn that tone, approach and reactions play a big part. Plus, how you handle it if your friend takes it badly says a lot about you.
7. The names of the Secretary of State, your great-great grandmother and the best tailor in town
Just little things you might want to know. Asking about the lives of your relatives is insightful, knowing who the Secretary of State is just good to know, and the best tailor in town – well that’ll come in handy if you spoil a suit or dress.
8. How to live alone
It gives you the chance to get to know yourself and take it from me, living alone leads to higher productivity and balance.
9. How to take control of your own birthday
Stop letting other people plan your bash, and spend your birthday how you want to spend it!
10. You are much more than the size of your dress, the length of your hair, the color of your skin
Confidence is beautiful and you can’t be fully dressed without it.
11. Your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over
Let it be a part of you, and not rule you. Let it go, and live.
12. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love
Just know what your standpoints are and stand your ground!
13. Accept the nature of your parents
Growing older comes with a greater appreciation for your parents, but you also learn to see them in a different way. As flawed humans. Accept who they are, even if their views are different from yours.
14. No one gets away with smoking, drinking, doing any kind of drugs, or skipping the dentist
It all catches up with you eventually!
15. Who you can trust and who you can’t
Don’t be sad for losing someone because of this, thank yourself for noticing it.
16. How and when to take things personally
Don’t take everything to heart. You’ll save yourself a lot of energy and integrity.
17. Don’t apologize for something that isn’t your fault
Only take the blame for something you’ve done.
18. Picking out the perfect outfit in an hour
Finding your personal style isn’t that difficult.
19. That you have a friend who always makes you laugh and lets you cry
I grow so much from those conversations with my girls!
20. How to change a tire
Being the master of your own car is essential. You’re an independent woman!
21. How to walk in four-inch heels
A lot easier than trying to master six-inch heels…
22. Quality over quantity is almost universally the best way to go
Quality saves money in the long run!
23. A designer item that you want to invest in
Every girl has her favorite designer. By the time you’re thirty find out what that one dream item is and save for it.
24. How to cook a perfect three-course meal
Even if you don’t do the cooking, it’s good to know. Especially if you’re looking to throw dinner parties.
25. Everything about taxes and insurance
Yep, if you’re approaching thirty you might need to know about your tax returns, home and life insurance and what kind of pension payments you’re making! It’s all fun, and not too complicated if you ask the right advisor.
26. How to create a strict budget
Gone are the days of putting money aside in one account and blowing the rest on clothes. It’s time to allocate spending money. Use the 50/20/30 rule if you need help.
27. It’s perfectly acceptable to stay in on a Saturday night with a good bottle of wine, takeout, and Real Housewives
Saturdays aren’t all about clubbing!
28. You can’t change the length of your calves or the width of your hips
Love them instead!
29. How to nourish your body
Learn to listen to your body and give it what it wants, not just what your tastebuds are craving. Choose healthy foods the majority of the time and you’ll feel healthier and happier in the long-run!
30. You’re amazing, and now life really begins!
How many can you cross off?