The 80-20 Rule To Live By If You Want To Be Successful

 

If we’re truly honest with ourselves, has there ever been any real long-term success from following a strict fad diet? I’m talking about results that have lasted long after the girls’ holiday photos have been posted, and success that hasn’t caused mad mood swings and crazy cravings. I’m all for striving to be the healthiest versions of ourselves, but I’m also about being the happiest versions, and, well, cocktails and cake make me happy as much as yoga and avocado do.

 

photo via Anine Bing

 

Here’s my logic; don’t eat mindlessly and occasionally indulge if you’re desperately craving something special. The happy hormones you get from a naughty indulge are more than worth the calories, in my opinion. The rule is simple; everything in moderation – because, let’s face it, you probably wouldn’t be happy if you overindulged, or equally so if you cut out all the yummy goodness, right? Hello, 80-20 compromise…

1. Sustainability is key

‘Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t.’ (I’m with Elle Woods on this one.) I’m just not sure that looking like a Victoria Secret’s model is worth never eating pizza again (shivers!). At the same time, nothing feels better than treating your mind and body to a clean-eating, good-for-you plate of yum.

If any of us are going to be truly happy and healthy, we need a sustainable lifestyle plan, not a weird and wacky, torturous diet that leaves us dreaming of cupcakes in the night. If we’re in it for the long-haul, we’re going to need less misery and torture and more self-love and endorphins. Makes sense, right?

2. The 80/20 Rule

Counting calories is simply not sustainable for many girls on the go. Either is missing out on a celebratory cocktail or date night dinner. By living the 80/20 rule you can enjoy your favorite treats when you want to most. Cash in your 20% when those cravings are hitting hard and enjoy nourishing your body in healthy goodness the remaining 80% of the time. The result is a happy and healthy body as well as mind.

Also, it’s realistic and achievable. Jessica Alba and Miranda Kerr are two successful babes who swear by the 80/20 rule because they know that some days you eat salads and go the gym, and some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants. It’s called balance.

LET’S CHAT

What do you think of the 80/20 rule? Let us know in the comments below!


Sign up for our newsletter and stay up to date

If we’re truly honest with ourselves, has there ever been any real long-term success from following a strict fad diet? I’m talking about results that have lasted long after the girls’ holiday photos have been posted, and success that hasn’t caused mad mood swings and crazy cravings. I’m all for striving to be the healthiest versions of ourselves, but I’m also about being the happiest versions, and, well, cocktails and cake make me happy as much as yoga and avocado do.

 

photo via Anine Bing

 

Here’s my logic; don’t eat mindlessly and occasionally indulge if you’re desperately craving something special. The happy hormones you get from a naughty indulge are more than worth the calories, in my opinion. The rule is simple; everything in moderation – because, let’s face it, you probably wouldn’t be happy if you overindulged, or equally so if you cut out all the yummy goodness, right? Hello, 80-20 compromise…

1. Sustainability is key

‘Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands. They just don’t.’ (I’m with Elle Woods on this one.) I’m just not sure that looking like a Victoria Secret’s model is worth never eating pizza again (shivers!). At the same time, nothing feels better than treating your mind and body to a clean-eating, good-for-you plate of yum.

If any of us are going to be truly happy and healthy, we need a sustainable lifestyle plan, not a weird and wacky, torturous diet that leaves us dreaming of cupcakes in the night. If we’re in it for the long-haul, we’re going to need less misery and torture and more self-love and endorphins. Makes sense, right?

2. The 80/20 Rule

Counting calories is simply not sustainable for many girls on the go. Either is missing out on a celebratory cocktail or date night dinner. By living the 80/20 rule you can enjoy your favorite treats when you want to most. Cash in your 20% when those cravings are hitting hard and enjoy nourishing your body in healthy goodness the remaining 80% of the time. The result is a happy and healthy body as well as mind.

Also, it’s realistic and achievable. Jessica Alba and Miranda Kerr are two successful babes who swear by the 80/20 rule because they know that some days you eat salads and go the gym, and some days you eat cupcakes and refuse to put on pants. It’s called balance.

LET’S CHAT

What do you think of the 80/20 rule? Let us know in the comments below!


Sign up for our newsletter and stay up to date

  • Shannon

    Sounds great. But how do you go from not eating healthy to eating healthy more often. It’s a harder transition than the other way around.

    Something I need to work on.

    • Cass

      Starting the whole 30 helped me make the shift and cut alot of my sugar cravings.

      • Shannon

        Thanks for the advice.

  • Genya

    Great post! I agree 100%. Usually, I always remind myself to treat my body good and eat healthy and workout. However, there are days and sometimes nights when I just want to have a cocktail, burger and pizza and this is totally fine. Everyone has to find his own balance

  • Mila S

    Why does everyone think that being slim or skinny means never having pizza!? It literally doesn’t make any sense because some people have faster metabolisms which means they don’t really gain that much weight no matter what they eat.

    x M
    || http://www.topknotkindaday.com ||

  • Of course the 80/20 rule is realistic and achievable… if it wasn’t then it wouldn’t exist? None the less, I find the excuses that people use to not eat well are all garbage- it’s a matter of priorities

  • Akanksha Padhi

    Loved the advice here. Love the fact that it’s doable.

    x https://thehungryshopaholic.com/