It takes motivation to get yourself to the gym, but it’s all too easy to show up, do a lazy ‘workout’ and then go home without doing yourself (or your body) justice. If you’ve ever made it halfway through a workout and then experienced a sudden drop in energy, you probably need to look at what you’re consuming beforehand.
Our body needs the right kinds of energizing food and drink to to keep us going and give us the energy we need. This is true whether you’re doing a cardio workout or a session of weights. Eating right before your workout will make sure you avoid that crash in energy levels, and keep on burning those calories right until the end!
These days everyone is all about avoiding carbohydrates, but there’s no getting away from the fact that carbs are your body’s main source of energy. While consuming too many carbs can lead to excess weight gain, a healthy diet plan is more about eating the right kind of carbs rather than avoiding them altogether. Here are some ideas for low calorie pre-workout snacks.
- An apple with 10 almonds
- 3-5 stalks of celery dipped in some hummus
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on a brown rice cake
#2 Drink enough water
When you feel thirsty it’s a sure sign you are already dehydrated. Another sign is your pee will be dark yellow. The darker your urine color, the more dehydrated you are. Headaches are also a common indicator. Often we are a bit dehydrated when we wake up in the morning, so the first thing you need to do when you wake up is drink several glasses of water.
# 3 After your workout
A healthy, carbohydrate-rich snack is key to increasing energy levels for your workout, but what you eat afterwards is crucial too. After a grueling workout, you need to be replacing lost glycogen stores and supporting muscle growth and repair. Now, your body needs protein to rebuild, so the foods you should eat are slightly different. A snack rich in protein and with some carbs will do the trick.
- Small can of tuna or wild salmon with some mixed lettuce leaves
- Protein whey shake with flax seed
- Two scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms
- Cottage cheese (or plain Greek yogurt) with a small handful of nuts
WORKOUT DAY 17
For the girls who have missed the previous articles, you can find the workout plan below. Tomorrow is day 17 and time for push-ups and mountain climbers!
– Drink a least six glasses of water a day(including lemon water)
– Drink three glasses of lemon water each day—one before breakfast, one before lunch, and one before dinner. It will detox your body and help you to feel full and not overeat during each meal.
– Start your day mindfully, start with a 5-minute morning meditation
– If you want to sweeten up you food try a healthier option like stevia or honey. Why? Read this article
– You can follow our meal plan or select your own recipes in case you’re a vegetarian. Try to eat 5 times a day. 2 snacks and 3 meals( breakfast, lunch and dinner)
– If you want to cheat once a week, go ahead, and enjoy it without guilt. Just make sure it doesn’t happen every day.
Workout In Style
Remember why you are following this challenge. To become a healthier, happier and stronger you. Let’s see how we feel after 30 days! See you tomorrow with update 18 and more tips!