Work requires your sole focus. It requires you to be productive even if you’re tired, hungry, or don’t really feel like it. Performing well at work will open the doors for success in life, but when you’ve lost your focus it can be hard to get it back.
If you want to be the most productive person in the office, smash all your goals and get sh*t done like never before, you need to keep these 22 rules in mind.
1. Strive for progress, not perfection. For example, say you’re writing a book, just write it. Don’t try to write a best-seller from day one, you’ll need to edit your (let’s face it) rubbish and turn it into gold.
2. Similarly, stop waiting for the right time. There’s never a right time to do anything. If you find yourself putting off a certain task, it’s because you have no passion for it, or you’re procrastinating it. Do it now, not later.
3. Make a list of all the things that distract you and drain your energy. Cut them out, right now.
4. Make a playlist, plug in your headphones and get stuff done. Maybe you need classical music to focus, or maybe you like to listen to house music to stay on track.
5. Set aside an hour for emails and admin tasks. They can eat away at your day if you don’t set aside the right amount of time for them.
6. Remember that every action drains a little bit of energy from you and the only way to get that energy back is to give time back to yourself.
7. Mess creates stress. De-clutter your desk, your drawers, your bag, and anything else you need to work with clarity and focus. You can even de-clutter your desktop, empty your trash, and organize those folders.
8. Set aside one hour only in the evening for TV. Try to divide your evening up and find inspiration by doing new things, reading books, and finding inspiration.
9. Find a routine that works for you and copy it every single week. Discipline is what will help you reach your goals. Wake up at the same time every day, work out at the same time every week, follow a meal prep plan and do certain tasks and certain times. Success doesn’t come from luck, it comes from dedication.
10. Get up one hour early. Just try it for a couple of weeks, it will change your life.
11. Take your meetings standing up, you’ll be less inclined to sit around and waste time.
12. Try saying no or ‘not right now’ more often.
13. If you aren’t the best at it, don’t do it. There’s a trick to outsourcing things that you can’t do as well as someone else. Of course, this mainly works with businesses that you start yourself.
14. Focus on one task exclusively until it’s done. Don’t distract yourself by multi-tasking.
15. Try the Pomodoro technique, working for 25 minutes and resting for 5 if you have a lot to get done. Big tasks might just need a tactic like this.
16. Drink more water. If you’re dehydrated, you’ll struggle to find the energy to get things done.
17. Work out twice a day for twenty minutes each time, this is the secret technique for boosting your energy without burning out.
18. Use all the time that you do nothing in. Read a book, learn something new, work on a report, every time you feel yourself doing nothing but scrolling social media. Stop that, and do something productive instead.
19. Go outside more. The more air you see, the more things you do, the more inspired you’ll feel and the more productive you’ll be. Eavesdrop on conversations, visit new stores, sit outside when the sun is shining. It’ll help restore your energy.
20.Do a digital detox. There’s a beauty in turning off your phone, shutting down your computer and just doing what you want to do.
21. Plan your day the right way. The number one mistake you can make with your daily plan is not planning your self-care rituals too. You think that your daily plan begins and ends with work or school, but it doesn’t. Get a planner that will change your mind about all that.
22. Find your comfort zone and push yourself out of it. It’s important to try new things and face your fears if you want to get ahead. This is the only way to do anything.
…come to those who sign up for our emails