Do you ever wonder how models manage to look so effortlessly polished all the time? Sure, they have a team of stylists and makeup artists to help them out, and good genes play a part too, but that doesn’t mean you can never look like them. Achieving flawless skin, glossy locks, and killer bodies like theirs is easier, and cheaper, than you think. Here’s how:
Develop a good skincare routine (and follow it!)
Flawless skin is rarely natural. More often than not, it’s the result of a good skincare routine diligently followed every day. But don’t worry. You don’t need to spend hours getting ready in the morning or splurging on expensive moisturizers like Creme De La Mer. Just figure out what skin type you have, and follow these basic steps every skincare routine should include:
- Cleanse skin, both in the morning and night, with a gentle but effective oil-based cleanser like Oskia Perfect Cleanser. If you like DIY treatments, you can also use olive or castor oil.
- Two or three times a week, exfoliate your skin to remove the dead cells that accumulate on its surface. We’re loving Omorovicza Copper Peel for polishing our skin, removing dead cells and getting that bright skin.
- Always apply a moisturizer formulated for your skin type to keep your skin well-hydrated, soft, and supple. One of our favourites at the moment is Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. UV rays cause premature wrinkles, and make skin dry, rough, and patchy. A generous amount of sun cream can prevent all that and keep your skin looking flawless. Plus, they’re usually very lightweight, so even oily-skinned girls will be able to use it without turning into a greasy mess.
Don’t neglect the rest of your body
If you’re like me, you follow your facial skincare routine religiously, but then completely neglect your body. It’s so easy to forget about it, especially in the cold winter months, when it’s hidden behind layers of clothing. Models never do that. They take care of their whole bodies, every day. Here’s how:
- As soon as you get out of the shower, apply a rich body lotion or butter, like Soap & Glory The Righteous Body Butter. It restores the moisture your skin has lost during the shower and keeps it in top shape.
- Two or three times a week, give your skin a good scrub while in the shower. We love Frank Body Scrub. It whisks away dead cells and smells like early mornings! Make sure you pay special attention to rough areas, like elbows and heels. You want them to be super soft too.
- File and moisturize your nails regularly to keep them polished and healthy. Invest in a UV nail kit or get them professionally done to ensure they’re chip free and beautiful.
Bring your best face forward
Have you noticed models don’t go around with crazy blue eyeshadows or mismatched foundation? They don’t hide their natural beauty. They enhance it with just a touch of makeup:
- Choose colours that suit your skintone. If you have warm undertones, a cool, blue-toned red lipstick isn’t gonna suit you. If you have green eyes, green eyeshadows won’t make them pop. Figure out what best suits you, and stick to it.
- Choose a tinted moisturizer or BB Cream that gently evens out the complexion without making you look like you’re wearing a mask.
- Opt for eyeshdows, blushes, and lipglosses in natural, shimmery shades that give your complexion that radiant, lit-from-within glow.
It’s all in the hair
Hair is a woman’s crowing glory. As such, it deserves some special attention and lots of TLC:
- Use shampoos, conditioners, and hair masks especially formulated for your hair type.
- Choose an easy-to-manage haircut that suits your face shape. If you have no clue, ask your hairstylist for help. Then, trim it every few months to avoid split ends.
- Don’t go crazy with styling tools. Their heat seriously damages hair, making it dull, brittle, and prone to breakage.
What are your tips for looking like a model without breaking the bank?
By Giorgia Guazzarotti